Jan 16, 2021  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

General Requirements


Baccalaureate Degrees*

Communication 9 hours**
Humanities / Fine Arts 9 hours (At least one course must be in literature.)
Social / Behavioral Sciences 6 hours
History 6 hours***
Natural Sciences 8 hours
Mathematics 3 hours

Total 41 hours

*Foreign language courses are an additional requirement for the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees. The B.A. degree requires proficiency in a foreign language equivalent to completion of two years of college-level work.

**Six hours of English Composition and three hours in English oral presentational communication are required.

****Students who have not completed one year of American History in high school must complete 6 credit hours of American History or 3 credit hours of American History plus 3 credit hours of Tennessee History in order to satisfy the History General Education requirement. Students who plan to transfer to University of Tennessee System universities or to out-of-state or private universities should check requirements and take the appropriate courses.

Although the courses designated by Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) institutions to fulfill the requirements of the general education subject categories vary, transfer of the courses is assured through the following means:

  • Upon completion of an A.A. or A.S. degree, the requirements of the lower-division general education core will be complete and accepted by a TBR university in the transfer process.
  • If an A.A. or A.S. is not obtained, transfer of general education courses will be based upon fulfillment of complete subject categories. (Example: If all eight hours in the category of Natural Sciences are complete, then this “block” of the general education core is complete.) When a subject category is incomplete, course-by-course evaluation will be conducted. The provision of block fulfillment pertains also to students who transfer among TBR universities.
  • Institutional/departmental requirements of the grade of “C” will be honored. Even if credit is granted for a course, any specific requirements for the grade of “C” by the receiving institution will be enforced.
  • In certain majors, specific courses must be taken also in general education. It is important that students and advisors be aware of any major requirements that must be fulfilled under lower-division general education.

Courses designated to fulfill general education at the University of Memphis are published below. A complete listing of the courses fulfilling general education requirements for all Tennessee Board of Regents institutions is available on the TBR website (http://www.tbr.edu/) under Transfer and Articulation Information.

Apply For Graduation

All students are required to apply to graduate during the semester preceding the semester of graduation. The deadlines for the application to graduate are included on the Registrar’s website. It is the responsibility of the student to insure that this deadline is met.

University General Education Program  

Residence Requirements

Requirements for Teacher Licensure

Catalog Applicability

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Second Major


Residence Requirements

A student will satisfy residence requirements for graduation by earning at least twenty-five (25) percent of credit hours required for the degree at the University of Memphis. At least thirty (30) of the final sixty (60) hours required for the degree must be completed at the University of Memphis. A student transferring credits from a two-year college or institution must complete, as a requirement for the baccalaureate degree, a minimum of sixty semester hours in an accredited senior institution.

In addition, the student must meet the residence requirements for the specific degree as established by the college or school in which it is offered. Exceptions to residence requirements can be authorized by the appropriate dean. Residence requirements for specific degrees within each college or school may be found in the Colleges and Degree Programs section. For more details, the student should inquire in the office of the dean of the appropriate college or school.

Requirements for Teacher Licensure

An undergraduate student can be recommended for licensure to teach in Elementary Education (Grades K-6); Early Childhood Education (Grades PreK-3); or Special Education (Grades K-12); or Physical Education (Grades K-12), Art (Grades PreK-12), Music (Grades PreK-12) in the State of Tennessee by completing all degree requirements for that endorsement as outlined for the Bachelor of Science in Education in the COLLEGE OF EDUCATION DEGREE PROGRAMS section of this Catalog, or the College of Communication and Fine Arts for Art and Music.

A student in any of these programs must (1) file an application for admission to the Teacher Education Program in The College of Education, Health and Human Sciences; (2) fulfill the requirements and application procedures for the year-long Residency; (3) apply to graduate before the University deadline; (4) have an overall GPA of no less than 2.75 and a grade of “C” or above in each required course on their program of study; (5) pass all appropriate PRAXIS II licensure exams, and (6) fulfill all other graduation requirements listed under the TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAMS: REQUIREMENTS section.

Graduate, special, and transfer students who wish to obtain a teacher’s license should confer with the academic advisor in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences, Room 202, Ball Hall on the main campus, or Room 220 in the Barnell-Jones Building at the University of Memphis, Lambuth Campus, concerning their individual requirements.

Catalog Applicability


A student may complete the requirements for the initial degree under the provisions of any valid UofM Catalog provided the effective date of that Catalog is not earlier than the student’s initial admission to UofM or some other accredited institution of higher learning. The degree requirements published in the Undergraduate Catalog of the University of Memphis are valid for seven years from the beginning of the academic year to which the Catalog applies. For students whose initial enrollment occurs Fall 2017-Summer 2018, this Catalog is valid through Summer 2024.

With the approval of the dean of the college through which the student’s degree is offered, any student who had completed at least fifteen semester hours of course work and whose progress was interrupted by a call to active military duty may extend the validity date for graduation for any Catalog valid at the time of the call to active duty. Though the student should attempt to complete requirements within the normal seven-year validity period, the dean may grant an extension commensurate with actual time served on active military duty and time required for directly related medical treatment that prevents the student’s re-enrollment. Qualification for this extension is contingent upon re-enrollment within a period of time deemed reasonable by the dean. The extension is not allowed for a full military career.

The seven-year Catalog validity period applies only to degree requirements as specified in Graduation from the University and Colleges, Degree Programs and Courses sections of the Catalog. It does not apply to regulations in the Academic Regulations section. Specific regulations apply for the year in which they appear in the Catalog.


A student with a declared major may pursue any established minor described in this or any subsequent Catalog. The selected minor must be different than the declared major and require approval of the degree granting college under which the student is graduating. The minimum of 18 credit hours for a minor is required. Some of the hours in the minor may also be included in the student’s general education and degree requirements. There must be at least 9 hours at the upper division level. The GPA required for the minor is that of the degree granting college. Students must complete the coursework for the minor as described in the “College and Degree Programs” section of the undergraduate Catalog. The minor must be declared no later than graduation check-out time. All course requirements for the minor must be completed by the time of graduation.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

All students who hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, including the University of Memphis, may earn another bachelor’s degree with a different title.

To earn the second bachelor’s degree, the student must:

  1. Complete any additional college requirements as determined by the office of the dean of the college granting the second baccalaureate degree.
  2. Complete all requirements for the major as determined by the department in which the second baccalaureate degree is sought.
  3. Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours in residence.
  4. Earn a minimum overall* grade point average of 2.0.

*Until Summer 2015, the overall GPA will reflect all college-level coursework-U of M and transfer. Beginning Summer 2015, the overall GPA will reflect all college-level work-U of M and any transfer coursework processed prior to Summer 2015; however, the overall GPA will reflect ONLY U OF M coursework for those students whose transfer credit is processed Summer 2015 and later.

NOTE: Beginning Summer 2015, a Tennessee Board of Regents’ state-wide policy on transfer credit and GPA calculations takes effect. Beginning Summer 2015, transfer credit will be reflected in earned hours, but will no longer apply to the overall GPA (used to determine undergraduate graduation, graduation with distinction, and athletic eligibility) or to the overall combined GPA (used to determine academic standing, financial aid, and scholarship eligibility, except for HOPE):

  1. For New Transfer students admitted Summer 2015 and later, no transfer credit will count in the overall or the overall combined GPA.
  2. For Readmitted students readmitted Summer 2015 and later, no transfer credit taken since last attending the U of M will count in the overall or the overall combined GPA. Any transfer work previously processed will continue to be reflected in the GPAs.
  3. For Continuing students, no transfer credit submitted to and received by the U of M Summer 2015 or later will count in the overall or the overall combined GPA. Any transfer work previously processed will continue to be reflected in the GPAs.

Second Major

Two majors in the same degree may be pursued simultaneously or subsequently. If a student completes the requirements from a valid Catalog for an additional major for a degree previously earned at the University of Memphis, that major may be posted on the student’s record if the student applies for the additional major through the appropriate dean’s office.


The minors available are the following:

College of Arts and Sciences

Aerospace Studies
African and African American Studies
Asian Studies
Classical Studies
Computer Science
Criminology and Criminal Justice
Emergency Management
Environmental Studies
Foreign Languages
Judaic Studies
Legal Thought and Liberal Arts
Mathematical Sciences
Military Science
Naval Sciences
Nonprofit Management
Political Science
Public Administration
Religious Studies
Social Work
Women’s Studies

Fogelman College of Business and Economics

Business Economics
International Business
Supply Chain Management
Management Information Systems
Marketing Management
Pre-Professional Business Administration
Project Management
Real Estate
Risk Management and Insurance
Professional Selling
Systems Testing

College of Communication and Fine Arts

Art History

Herff College of Engineering

Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering 

University College

Alcohol and Drug Abuse
Studies American
Studies Child Development


University Fees And Charges

GENERAL: All University fees and charges are calculated and assessed consistent with policies and procedures of the Tennessee Board of Regents and the University of Memphis. Information in this catalog is intended to cover the situations that most students will encounter. However, the University may have additional policies and procedures by which fees and charges are implemented or that apply to unusual situations.

Registration (Enrollment) Fees

The information in this section concerning registration fees is applicable only to students enrolled in the undergraduate colleges and departments of the University. Similar information for students in The Graduate School and The School of Law is available in the catalogs of those schools. The fees are found at the Bursar’s web site: http://www.memphis.edu/bursar/fees/

Other Fees

Other Registration (Enrollment) Fee Information

Miscellaneous Fees

Appeal Procedures

University ID Cards

Tiger Funds

Other Fees

Fees associated with housing rates, meal rates, admission fees, course fees and the Regent’s Online Degree Program courses can be found at http://bf.memphis.edu/finance/bursar/otherfees.php

Foreign Language Placement Examination: The fee for taking a foreign language placement examination is $160 minimum and an additional $15 for each hour in excess of three (3) per course. These fees are non-refundable and must be paid prior to the examination.

Late Registration Fee: A late registration fee of $100, which is not included in the Fee Schedule above, will be assessed to each student who does not complete registration by the semester’s first day of classes.

Late Payment Fee: A late payment fee of $100 will be assessed to each student who does not satisfy at least the initial installment amount of enrollment fees (50% of fees after all financial aid, scholarships and/or sponsorships have been applied for the fall or spring semester; 100% of fees for summer sessions) by the deadline dates noted at Fee Payment Schedule. The student’s registration is subject to cancellation.

Payment Of Fees And Debts: Registration (enrollment) fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, Visa/MasterCard/Discover, Financial Aid/Scholarship Award(s), or University TIGER FUND$ account. Fees may be paid as soon as the student registers for courses and are due by the fee payment deadline date noted at Registration Fee Payment Deadline page.

The University offers a deferred (installment) payment plan to assist students with the payment of enrollment fees. Please refer to the University’s Installment Payment Plan for enrollment fees.

It is expected that a check or draft given to the university, for any reason, will be honored by the bank on which it is drawn. A check or draft dishonored by the bank on which it is drawn may be presented a second time at the discretion of the University. A $20 returned item fee will be assessed for any checks/drafts returned.

The privilege of making payments to the University by personal check and check cashing privileges will be revoked for any student who has had more than one returned check/draft within a twelve month period. The suspension of this privilege will be for a period of one year from the date the last item is redeemed.

A student will not be permitted to satisfy registration fees by check if any previous check in payment of registration fees has been returned. Students on a “NO CHECKS” status must be prepared to satisfy registration fees with cash, cashier’s check, or by authorized credit card draft.

Eligibility for Deferment of Payment of Tuition and Fees by Certain Eligible Students Receiving U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or Other Governmentally Funded Educational Assistance Benefits

Servicemembers, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of the term for which the deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.

Indebtedness To University: Policy of the Tennessee Board of Regents prohibits the enrollment of any person who owes the university any amount of money. All outstanding financial obligations to the university must be satisfied before a student will be allowed to register for courses. Tennessee law prohibits the release of grades, transcripts or diplomas of any person having outstanding financial obligations to the university.

Refund Of Registration (Enrollment) Fees: The following refund percentages of enrollment fees (Maintenance, Out-Of-State Tuition, Materials, Applied Music, Nursing Clinical Practicum, Business, Engineering and other course fees, and Student Activity Fees) apply to students who withdraw from the university or who drop to an hourly load below full time:

  1. 100% Refund: (1) A full (100%) refund of these fees will be provided until the semester’s first day of classes, (2) for courses canceled by the University, and (3) in the case of the death of the student during the semester.
  2. 75% Refund: A 75% refund will be provided beginning with the semester’s first day of classes and extending for a period of time as noted at https://my.memphis.edu/.
  3. 25% Refund: A 25% refund will be provided beginning at the expiration of the 75% refund period and extending for a period of time as noted at https://my.memphis.edu/.
  4. At the conclusion of the 25% refund period, there will be no refund of these fees.
  5. Students who receive Federal Title IV Funds and who withdraw from the University may be eligible for a refund of enrollment fees based on the Federal pro-rate refund calculation. Please refer to the Student Aid section of this Catalog for specific information on pro-rata refunds and the return of Federal Title IV Funds.

Other Registration Fees

Residency Classification: All determinations concerning the classification of students as in state or out of state for fee purposes are made in the Office of Admissions. The determinations are based on the regulations and guidelines of the Tennessee Board of Regents. If, for any reason, there is a question about a student’s residency classification for fee payment purposes, the student is responsible for requesting a review of his or her residency status before classes begin.

Academic Common Market: Participation in the Academic Common Market allows qualified students from southern states to pay in-state tuition while pursuing certain degree programs at the University of Memphis. This arrangement is available only for students whose home states do not offer the designated program. The state in which the student resides determines which of the programs offered by the University of Memphis the home state will make available to its students.

The Academic Common Market is sponsored by the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB). Participating states are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia (Florida and Texas grant access for graduate level programs only). Current SREB common market guidelines and requirements may be found on the web at: http://www.sreb.org/programs/acm/acm/searchacm.asp.

Students may request through their home state coordinators that additional programs be made accessible. A list of the state coordinators with their addresses and telephone numbers may be obtained from the Office of Curriculum Planning or the Academic Common Market web site http://www.sreb.org/programs/acm/acm/searchacm.asp.

In addition to certification requirements which the student’s state of residence may specify, the following pertain: (1) students must be fully admitted to a degree program that has been approved as an Academic Common Market program (non-degree students are ineligible); (2) students must obtain a letter certifying residency term of entry and approval for the particular University of Memphis program from their state’s Academic Common Market coordinator.

NOTE: After enrollment, students remain eligible for in-state tuition only so long as they are continuously enrolled-consecutive fall and spring terms- in the same major for which they were originally certified. If students change major, they must process a Change of Major through their advisor and notify the Office of Admissions to change the Academic Common Market residency code on their records. Failure to process the Change of Major and to notify Office of Admissions may subject the student to out-of state fees for all subsequent terms of enrollment in classes for a major other than the one for which the student received ACM certification. Missing a fall or spring term of enrollment or a change of major requires that the student be recertified through the ACM coordinator in the student’s state or residence.

Fees For Totally Disabled Persons And Persons Over 60 Years Of Age: Persons who are domiciled in Tennessee and (1) have a permanent disability that totally incapacitates them from the potential to work at an occupation that brings them an income, or (2) who will become 60 years of age or older during the academic semester in which they begin classes, may AUDIT courses at the University of Memphis without paying tuition charges, maintenance fees, student activity fees, access fees, or registration fees. Admission to AUDIT will be limited on an individual classroom basis according to space availability.

Those who are totally disabled and those who will become 65 years of age or older during the academic semester in which they begin classes, and who are domiciled in Tennessee, may enroll for courses for credit at the cost of one-half the normal per credit hour fee, not to exceed $70 per semester.

Direct inquiries regarding these programs may be addressed to Registration Service, room 003, Wilder Tower.

Miscellaneous Fees

Music Industry Fees: Students who wish to apply for credit for experiential learning in Music Industry may obtain guidelines for this procedure from the Dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts. A non-refundable $25 contract advising fee will be charged for the assessment of the portfolio. See “Experiential Learning Credit Fees” for related fee information.

Credit By Examination or Placement Examination: The fee for taking an examination for credit or a placement examination is $60 minimum and an additional $15 for each hour in excess of three (3) per course. These fees are non-refundable and must be paid prior to the examination.

Experiential Learning Credit Fees: Students who apply for credit for experiential learning will pay a fee of $75 per credit hour for which credit is awarded. See http://www.memphis.edu/innovation/elc/experiential_learning.php for more information.

Music Locker Rental: Music students are required to have a locker for storage of University-owned musical instruments or equipment. Personal instruments may also be stored in the locker. A fee of $5 per semester is assessed for the locker rental. Students will be expected to pay for any damages.

Transcripts: There is no fee for your first twenty transcripts. Transcripts are issued only at the request of the student in person or by letter. No transcript will be issued for a student who has any unfulfilled obligations to the University.

Various Course Fees: Certain other course offerings may require various fees to obtain the necessary course related supplies.

Wall Lockers: University rental lockers are located in the following buildings: Engineering (first floor), and Jones Hall (basement and third floors). There is a $5 per semester fee for the rental of wall lockers. Wall locker fees are paid at the Bursar’s Office (115 Wilder Tower).

The listing of any fee or incidental charge in this publication does not constitute a contract between the University and the student. As a condition of registration, each student will pay the fees in effect for the semester for which he or she registers. All questions in regard to fees, fee payment, refunds, and appeals should be directed to the Bursar’s Office (115 Wilder Tower).

Fees are subject to change without notice. The University will usually collect the amount of fees due at the time of enrollment fees satisfaction in accordance with the residency classification and fee rates in effect. After all enrollments are complete, any over-collections will be refunded and students will be billed for any under-collections.

Fees for AUDITING courses are assessed on the same basis as fees for credit courses. Courses offered between terms, for concentrated periods during a term, or at specific locations may be subject to fees on a per-hour basis only.

Appeal Procedures

Appeal Procedures for Fees/Charges/Refunds: Any individual may appeal the assessment, application, calculation, collection, or interpretation of any University fee, charge deposit, or refund. The University has developed the following processes for an appeal:

Traffic Fines/Citations: Traffic fines and citations may be appealed through a separate process on forms available from the Parking Office, Office of Student Conduct, or the Student Government Association Office.

Residence Life and Dining Services: Appeals related to Residence Life and Dining Services financial matters should be filed first with the Office of Residence Life and Dining Services for processing. Decisions of the Office of Residence Life and Dining Services may be appealed in writing to the Office of the Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs and the Dean of Students. This decision may be appealed to the University Fee/Refund Appeals Committee.

All Other University Fees/Charges, Refunds, etc.: A written appeal of all other financial matters should be filed first on forms available from the Bursar’s Office (115 Wilder Tower). The Bursar’s office will provide a decision in writing to the appellant. Decisions of the Bursar’s Office may be appealed in writing to the Office of the Assistant Vice President for Finance.

The Office of the Assistant Vice President for Finance will provide a decision in writing of those matters appealed to that office. This decision may be appealed to the University Fee/Refund Appeals Committee. The recommendation of the committee will be forwarded to the Vice President for Business and Finance for a final decision, which will conclude the University’s appeal process.

University ID Cards 

The University of Memphis issues each student an identification card that bears the student’s image and social security number. All students should obtain this permanent identification card that is used as the primary campus-wide method of determining privileges and accesses permitted each student. The ID card is required for the borrowing of library books, admission to or approval to pick up or purchase student tickets to athletic and social events, the sale of used text books, and other official purposes. 

There is no charge to the student for the initial University ID card and it is automatically validated each semester the student enrolls. The card remains the property of the University of Memphis and should be surrendered upon the request of any University official. Each student may possess only ONE University ID card at any time. 

There is no charge for the initial student ID card. There is, however, a $10 fee to replace a lost or stolen card. The replacement fee can be paid at the Customer Service Window adjacent to 115 Wilder Tower. To obtain your replacement card, present your receipt and a photo identification to the Campus Card Office, 115 Wilder Tower. 

Tiger Funds

A personal TIGER FUND$ account, which is accessed through the University ID card, is available to all students at the University of Memphis. TIGER FUND$ is a declining balance money management program that provides students with a convenient way to obtain supplies and services on campus without the need to carry cash or the inconvenience of paying by check or credit card. 

TIGER FUND$ is accepted at numerous campus locations including the University Store, Health Center, and campus food service locations. 

Additional information on the advantages and convenience of having a personal TIGER FUND$ account may be obtained from the Bursar’s Office in 115 Wilder Tower.

Campus Directory

Department Phone Number
Academic Counseling Center 901.678.2062
Admissions 901.678.2111
Bursar’s Office 901.678.5579
Center for Athletics Academic Services 901.678.2714
Counseling, Tutoring and Testing 901.678.2067
Dean of Students 901.678.2187
Financial Aid 901.678.4825
Honors Program 901.678.2690
President’s Office 901.678.2234
Provost’s Office 901.678.2119
Registrar 901.678.2810