Dec 18, 2018
MA Degree Program
The admissions committee will review all completed applications. The deadline for applications is February 1 each year for the follow Fall semester. Students are admitted in the fall semester only. Applicants should have a GPA of 3.00 (on a 4 point system). GRE scores are required (General Test). Application instructions are available online at www.memphis.edu/csd/programs/profapply.php. Applicants should follow the application instructions on the website for current procedures.
Applicants should submit recommendations from at least three individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic background and aptitude for graduate work in Speech-Language Pathology.
Applicants should also submit a personal statement describing his/her professional goals and preparation for study in Speech-Language Pathology.
- Students are expected to be proficient in understanding and use of English.
- To be considered for admission, all applicants must have completed or be in the process of completing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. Previous academic preparation in audiology/speech-language pathology is not a requirement for admission.
- Non-CSD basic science coursework necessary to meet U of M graduation, ASHA certification, and State Licensure includes:
- Biological Science (3)
- Behavioral/Social Science (6)
- Physical Science (minimum 1 credit)
If college-level credits for these courses have not been earned upon enrollment, they will need to be completed during the MA graduate program.
General Program Requirements
- Students must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours and meet the academic and practicum requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Additional coursework will be required for those students without undergraduate preparation in audiology/speech-language pathology.
Full time study requires enrollment in clinical practicum, and must obtain a 3.00 or above in at least 9 semester hours of clinical practicum, and must obtain a 3.00 or above in their last two semesters of clinical practicum. A minimum of 14 credit hours of AUSP 7200 and AUSP 7208 /AUSP 8208 must be taken, but more hours may be required in order to meet certification standards.
A thesis or non-thesis option is available. Students choosing the non-thesis option must take a minimum of 3 credits of either AUSP 7990 - Special Projects or AUSP 7991 - Clinical-Research Colloquium or a combination of both. NOTE: Students electing to write a thesis should familiarize themselves with the Thesis/Dissertation Preparation Guide before starting to write.
- All students must complete written comprehensive examinations.
All students enrolled in the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders are expected to attain high academic achievement and maintain professional and ethical conduct. In addition to Graduate School policy the criteria listed below will be used to determine the retention status of students enrolled in the School.
General Academic Performance:
- Grades of less than 2.0 in required courses are considered unacceptable and must be repeated in order to meet graduation requirements.
- A student may count two grades of 2.00 toward their degree.Students have the option of repeating two courses in which a grade of 2.00 or less was earned. The student will be dismissed at the end of the semester in which a third grade of 2.00 or less has been earned.
- Students are expected to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 at the end of each semester of enrollment at the University of Memphis. A GPA below 3.00 across two consecutive semesters may be grounds for dismissal.
- Because the MA in Speech-Language Pathology is a professional practice degree, satisfactory acquisition of knowledge and skills for certification as prescribed by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association is required. Failure to achieve any of these standards for clinical performance may result in dismissal from the program.
- The cumulative grade of the first two semesters of clinical practicum (7200/7208) must be a B- (2.67) or greater. A cumulative clinic grade for the last five semesters must be at least 3.00. Students must obtain a B (3.00) or better in each of their last 2 semesters.
- Students may be dismissed for any of the following:
- Failure to maintain appropriate standards of academic integrity or CSD Policies.
- Failure to follow the ASHA Code of Ethics.
- Failure to follow HIPAA guidelines.
- A grade of 1.67 or lower in clinic practicum will mandate a review within the School and may be grounds for dismissal.
Professional Background Coursework (6 hours, may be taken at the University of Memphis):
- Audiology: Hearing Disorders/Evaluation (3),
- Habilitation/Rehabilitation (3)
Speech-Language Pathology Minimum Degree Requirements:
(Required courses are marked with *, all others are electives)
Basic Communication Processes (15 hours minimum):
Speech Disorders (6 hours minimum):
Language Disorders (6 hours minimum):
Clinical Practicum (14 hours minimum):
Other Required Courses (7 hours):