Dec 04, 2020
Communication Major (B.A.)
The program objectives for a B.A. in Communication are linked to five key areas:
- Performance: Students will demonstrate competence in producing messages for different purposes, audiences, and contexts.
- Analysis and Critical Thinking: Students will analyze, interpret and evaluate messages across various forms and contexts.
- Knowledge: Students will know the development of communication studies from its rhetorical roots through social scientific perspectives to contemporary critical approaches.
- Ethics: Students will articulate ethical principles and apply them in diverse communication contexts.
- Mediated Communication: Students will understand the impact of media forms on communication processes.
University General Education Program (41 hours)
See Graduation from the University for the University General Education Program requirements. Note that MATH 1830 or MATH 1910 (Mathematics requirement) and ECON 2010 and ECON 2020 (Social/Behavioral Sciences requirement) with a minimum grade of “C” are specified for the B.B.A. degree.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (6-9 hours)
The Bachelor of Arts requirements is in addition to the University General Education Program requirements.
Major Core (6 hours)
All students must take
A 2.0 cumulative GPA is required for all courses completed in the major. In addition, all students must fulfill the requirements for the following concentration:
Communication Studies (31 hours):
Plus Three Courses From One of the Following Focus Areas:
Professional & Relational Communication
Rhetoric & Public Advocacy
Plus 6 Additional Hours of Comm Electives
Electives (12 - 20 hours)
Completion of courses to bring the total to 120 semester hours.
To be eligible for admission to the Communication Honors program a student must meet the following requirements: (1) declare a major in Communication, (2) have completed 12 hours of Communication coursework, (3) have Department of Communication faculty member as an adviser, and (4) make an honors application to the adviser. Applications may be obtained from the director of the honors program or from the department office.
To be awarded departmental honors at graduation with the designation “With Honors in Communication,” a student must fulfill the following requirements: (1) maintain a 3.5 GPA in communication coursework, (2) maintain a 3.5 GPA overall, (3) complete all Department of Communication major requirements, (4) complete an independent thesis or an independent film/video project sponsored by a Department of Communication faculty member consisting of six hours over two semesters: three hours in research preparation (COMM 3330, COMM 4381, or COMM 4891), and three hours in completing the thesis project (COMM 4999), and (5) successful defense of the thesis.
Total Hours Required for Graduation: 120
* Must satisfy University General Education Program Requirement
**Students presenting a language to meet University admission requirements cannot receive credit for 1010 in that language.