Jun 22, 2024  
UofM 2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
UofM 2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Professional Studies, Child Life Specialist (B.P.S.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Programs (All Programs)

These guidelines for a Bachelor of Professional Studies with a concentration in Child Life Specialist are designed for persons seeking careers as child life specialists. Child life specialists are professionals who work closely with children and their families in hospitals and other settings to help them cope with the challenges of hospitalization, illness, and disability. Child life specialists provide children with age-appropriate preparation for medical procedures, pain management and coping strategies through a variety of different activities. Students must complete the application process as the field is highly selective.

This program DOES NOT lead to teacher licensure. Students interested in gaining a teaching license should contact the College of Education at 678-2728 or visit their website at: http://www.memphis.edu/tep/.

General Education (35-41 hours)

See University General Education Program for the University General Education Program requirements. Students who have completed one year of American History in high school are exempted from the six credit-hour History General Education Program requirement; otherwise, students will have to meet the History requirement.

Prior to enrolling in any upper-division Child Life Specialist Concentration Courses, students must complete the following 6 hours of general education as required by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP):

Coordinated Study (59 hours)

Many upper-division (3000/4000-level) courses have prerequisites that must be met prior to being permitted to register for those courses. You are responsible for knowing and satisfying all course prerequisites. Some (not all) prerequisites are listed below. For specific information about courses and the prerequisites they may have, please view course descriptions at: Course Descriptions  

Many courses also require permits from the department that teaches the course. For example, SWRK and CJUS courses will always need permits from those respective departments. College of Professional & Liberal Studies staff cannot issue permits for courses taught in other departments. ALL 3000/4000 level classes taught by the College of Business (ACCT, ECON, FIR, MGMT, MKTG) require a permit; students must request a permit online at  https://fcbeacad.memphis.edu/permits/

Declaring a concentration in Child Life Specialist

In order to pursue the Child Life Specialist concentration, students will review and sign a contract identifying the BPS requirements and the highly competitive expectations of a career in Child Life upon graduation.

Students applying for the Child Life Specialist program must have successfully completed or currently be enrolled in the courses below for consideration:

Guided Electives & Practicum (16 hours)

College Requirements (9 hours)

Thematic Studies (6 hours)

College of Professional & Liberal Studies thematic studies course(s) are designed to broaden a student’s knowledge of significant themes in social, political, and religious history. Review a complete list of courses: https://www.memphis.edu/cpls/resources/thematic_studies.php

Senior Project (3 hours)

The senior project is a student’s culminating experience or capstone designed to synthesize and integrate the content of a student’s program of study. The senior project is intended to fuse the two or more academic areas that comprise the student’s coordinated study (major) into an academically-relevant example of scholarship. Students will complete a thesis, task-based, or artistic project on a topic of their choice with approval of their senior project instructor. The senior project is completed during a student’s final semester. Students will be assigned to a specific section based on their concentration.

General Electives (25-31 hours)

Electives will be chosen to bring the total number of hours to 120 with a minimum of 42 upper-division hours.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Undergraduate Programs (All Programs)